What is amor fati
Amor Fati (Zen Peacemakers Spain) is a virtual organization inspired by Bernie Glassman’s vision, based on the use of the three tenets, the awareness and actualization of life’s interdependence, and the willingness to serve all aspects of life as the Gate of Sweet Nectar ceremony indicates.
- “The Peacemakers are a spiritual community of people who want to work for well-being and peace. Think of it as a meeting place where you can exchange experiences and gain new strength and ideas. We have no fix convictions or beliefs; not-knowing is our point of departure, and we want to listen to and learn as much as possible from the people for whom we want to make a difference”.
The Zen Peacemakers Sangha (ZPS) is an international spirituality and social action network. In 1994, after a Street Retreat in Washington D.C., the name was adopted by the Zen Peacemakers, a socially engaged community that grew up around the American Zen master Bernie Glassman since the 1980s.
Today the Zen Peacemakers Sangha is a virtual organization with an extensive network of more than 80 affiliated groups or circles that want to shape the vision and inspiration of socially engaged Buddhism. In recent years, thousands of people participated in the Auschwitz Bearing-Witness Retreats and the various Street Retreats that have taken place all over the world. The Zen Peacemakers are present in 15 countries of the five continents.
This committed Zen community emphasizes working for peace. They organize “Journeys to the Field” (including the local promotion of nonviolent communication and coexistence between Palestinians and Israelis, and peaceful actions in Rwanda). But the specific Zen Peacemakers practice has expanded in the area of social commitment: ecology, work in prisons (Prison Mindfulness Institute), reduction of hunger (www.stonesoupgreenfield.org) and poverty (Greyston Foundation), terminal care (Being with Dying), and the setting up of social enterprises (Greyston Bakery).
As Bernie Glassman says, you can best describe the Zen Peacemakers as a hub of creative energy. “The Peacemakers are a spiritual community of people who want to work for well-being and peace. Think of it as a meeting place where you can exchange experiences and gain new strength and ideas. We have no fix convictions or beliefs; notknowing is our point of departure, and we want to listen to and learn as much as possible from the people for whom we want to make a difference”.
Mission, vision and core value
The Vision of the Zen Peacemakers is:
The mission of Zen Peacemakers is to create a community of peacemakers enacting a vision of peace through the practice of meditation, the Rule of the Zen Peacemaker Order and social action, and to nurture an environment for the realization and actualization of peacemaking as a path of awakening. We seek to connect, train and support Zen Peacemakers throughout the world.
- · The Three Tenets of the Order (not-knowing, bearing witness and doing the actions coming out of not-knowing and bearing witness).
- · The ZPO as a world-wide movement of meditators doing social action as spiritual practice.
- · Bearing witness retreats around the world at places where humanity’s shadow appears.
- · Forms of practice for individual and collective enlightenment
- · How we can live our lives with openness and wonder.
Zen Peacemakers community is committed to:
- · A reverence for all life
- · A sustainable and ethical economy
- · Equal rights for all
- · Stewardship of the Earth
The core values of Zen Peacemakers are:
- · The Three Tenets
- · Minimizing suffering to ourselves and others
- · Broad-based inclusivity of all things
- · Renewal, creativity and experimentation
- · Inquiry into skillful means
- · Peer governance